We use cookies to understand how you use our site and to improve your experience. This includes personalizing content and advertising. To learn more, click here. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies. Cookie Policy.

Features Partner Sites Information LinkXpress
Sign In
Advertise with Us
GLOBETECH PUBLISHING LLC

Download Mobile App




PET/CT Significantly Improves Survival in Head-And-Neck Cancer Patients Monitored For Recurrence

By MedImaging International staff writers
Posted on 14 Aug 2023
Print article
Image: Experts have advocated for more intensive head-and-neck cancer follow-up using FDG-PET/CT (Photo courtesy of Freepik)
Image: Experts have advocated for more intensive head-and-neck cancer follow-up using FDG-PET/CT (Photo courtesy of Freepik)

Approximately two-thirds of individuals with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) face a potential recurrence risk within the initial two years after treatment. Now, a new study suggests that an intensive follow-up regimen using PET/CT scans could be advantageous for such patients.

Scientists with the University Hospital of Brest (Brest, France) explored the viability of employing 18F-fludeoxyglucose–positron emission tomography combined with computed tomography (18FDG-PET/CT) for the early detection and tracking of these cases. The findings were promising, demonstrating a three-year overall survival rate of 72.5% within the PET/CT group compared to 64.3% in the conventional follow-up group.

The case-control study involved a retrospective analysis of individuals aged 18 and above who were diagnosed with HNSCC between 2006 and 2019 and were treated at three medical centers. These patients had achieved a complete imaging response three to six months after treatment was taken for curing the disease. A minimum of three years of subsequent follow-up was conducted on all the patients. Among the 782 individuals included in the analysis, 497 (64%) underwent 18FDG-PET/CT scans, while the remaining 285 (36%) were given the traditional CT approach. A regression analysis showed a correlation between undergoing PET/CT scans and a reduced risk of mortality (odds ratio, 0.71), even after accounting for factors like age, gender, and comorbidities. The average three-year overall survival rate was notably better for the PET/CT group, according to the researchers. Further analysis revealed improved mean survival rates among patients with stages III and IV HNSCC within the PET/CT cohort, with no marked distinction observed at stages I or II.

“Prospective multicenter randomized studies are needed to investigate a causal relationship with survival and may help to define a follow-up schedule,” stated Jean-Christophe Leclère, MD, with the hospital’s Head and Neck Surgery Department. “To the best of our knowledge, this is the first series demonstrating a significant survival difference in patients monitored in an intensive follow-up strategy based on 18FDG-PET/CT.”

Related Links:
University Hospital of Brest

Gold Member
Solid State Kv/Dose Multi-Sensor
AGMS-DM+
Ultrasound System
P20 Elite
New
Illuminator
Trimline Basic
New
Mobile Digital C-arm X-Ray System
HHMC-200D

Print article
Radcal

Channels

Ultrasound

view channel
Image: The device creates microbubbles that temporarily disrupt the BBB, permitting the entry of immunotherapy into the brain (Photo courtesy of Northwestern)

Ultrasound Technology Breaks Blood-Brain Barrier for Glioblastoma Treatment

Despite extensive molecular studies, the outlook for patients diagnosed with the aggressive brain cancer known as glioblastoma (GBM) continues to be poor. This is partly due to the blood-brain barrier... Read more

Nuclear Medicine

view channel
Image: 68Ga-NC-BCH whole-body PET imaging rapidly targets an important gastrointestinal cancer biomarker in lesions in GI cancer patients (Photo courtesy of Qi, Guo, et al.; doi.org/10.2967/jnumed.123.267110)

New PET Radiotracer Enables Same-Day Imaging of Key Gastrointestinal Cancer Biomarker

Gastrointestinal cancers rank among the most prevalent cancers worldwide, contributing to over a quarter of all cancer cases and over one-third of cancer-related deaths annually. The initial symptoms of... Read more

Imaging IT

view channel
Image: The new Medical Imaging Suite makes healthcare imaging data more accessible, interoperable and useful (Photo courtesy of Google Cloud)

New Google Cloud Medical Imaging Suite Makes Imaging Healthcare Data More Accessible

Medical imaging is a critical tool used to diagnose patients, and there are billions of medical images scanned globally each year. Imaging data accounts for about 90% of all healthcare data1 and, until... Read more
Copyright © 2000-2024 Globetech Media. All rights reserved.