Features | Partner Sites | Information | LinkXpress
Sign In
GLOBETECH PUBLISHING LLC
Ampronix
Schiller

Tomosynthesis Technology Advances Specimen Radiography

By Medimaging International staff writers
Posted on 23 Jul 2014
A groundbreaking system for digital specimen radiography allows for multiplanar X-ray imaging for thorough margin analysis of excised breast tissue.

The Mozart 3D specimen radiography system is based on patent-pending TomoSpec digital specimen tomosynthesis, a novel modality that reconstructs three dimensional (3D) tomographic images from two dimensional (2D) projection images in real-time. By using the technology, the system eliminates the need to acquire multiple images at varying angles for margin confirmation, since the acquired data set provides greater detail and more information than available in any single 2D image. The technology offers the ability to examine specimens at varying slice depths, and includes the K-view image for a comprehensive 2D view of individual slices at higher resolution.

Using the Mozart 3D specimen radiography system, physicians have the ability to view individual 3D slices for the exact location of calcifications in breast specimens. The Mozart 3D will be the first system using the TomoSpec technology, and is designed to be used with most available specimen containers, since a dedicated specimen container is not required. The TomoSpec digital specimen tomosynthesis technology and the Mozart system are products of Kubtec (Milford, CT, USA).

“The TomoSpec technology in Mozart allows for comprehensive intraoperative margin analysis in a single step, without turning and repositioning the specimen container multiple times to obtain additional views,” said Chester Lowe, PhD, director of research and development at Kubtec. “Using TomoSpec’s multidimensional imaging technology, and requiring no repositioning of specimens, the Mozart system will provide a faster, more efficient specimen radiography solution for radiology, surgery, and pathology department.”

“TomoSpec technology represents a quantum leap forward in superior intraoperative specimen radiography,” added Vikram Butani, president of Kubtec. “The system offers radiologists, surgeons, and pathologists an elegant synthesis of digital technologies for the most advanced specimen imaging available.”

Related Links:

Kubtec



Channels

MRI

view channel
Image: Kathryn A. Cunningham, Chauncey Leake Distinguished Professor of Pharmacology and Director of the Center for Addiction Research (Photo courtesy of UTMB).

Researchers Find Functional Differences in Brains of Cocaine Users

A new collaborative scientific study between the University of Texas at Galveston (UTMB; Galveston, TX, USA) and Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU; Richmond, VA, USA), published in the journal NeuroImage:... Read more

Ultrasound

view channel
Image: the Siemens Healthcare team (Photo courtesy of Siemens plc).

Advanced Low-Cost Ultrasound Screening Program Held in the Workplace

A low-cost liver disease awareness and screening day has been held by a medical imaging company in the United Kingdom as part of the British Liver Trust’s "Love Your Liver" campaign. The awareness and... Read more

Nuclear medicine

view channel
Image: PET scan images (Courtesy of King’s College London).

Preventing Unnecessary Radiotherapy for Patients with Early-Stage Hodgkin’s Lymphoma

A new study suggested that patients with early-stage (stage 1a or 2a) Hodgkin’s lymphoma disease, who underwent three cycles of chemotherapy with the drugs doxorubicin, bleomycin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine... Read more

General/Advanced Imaging

view channel
Image: Measuring the Magnetic Activity in the Brain of a Child, Using a MEG machine. (Photo courtesy of Children\'s Hospital of Philadelphia).

Study Suggests Language Delay Linked to Chromosome Deletion in Children with Neurological Disorders

A study found that children with neuro-developmental problems born with DNA duplications or deletions on part of chromosome 16, show measurable delays in their ability to process sound and language.... Read more

Industry News

view channel

New Analysis Forecasts Strong Growth for Advanced Diagnostic Imaging Services in Singapore

A new market analysis shows that revenues for the private outpatient diagnostic imaging services market in Singapore are forecast to grow from USD 127.8 million in 2013 to an estimated USD 273 million in 2019. Private practitioners in Singapore provide 80% of the primary healthcare services, while the remaining 20% are... Read more
 
Copyright © 2000-2015 Globetech Media. All rights reserved.